Yesterday on a long drive to Peoria I listened to Pat Flynn’s informative “How to Start a Podcast Podcasting Tutorial“. Pat explained the technical process of creating and distributing podcast. It’s surprisingly convoluted. With that in mind I wasted no time and started on the task today. This was the software I’ve installed:
- Skype – practiced calling Denise and it works quite well.
- Pamela (a Skype recording software that didn’t work, so I uninstalled it)
- MP3 Skype Recorder – Skype was still connected to Pamela. I went into, deleted the share. Restarted Skype and MP3 Skype Recorder worked out of the box. Very simple and elegant to use.
- Audacity – a recorder software and mixer. Very straightforward and similar to other sound editing software I’ve used.
- LAME MP3 Encoder – to export a MP3 file from Audacity, I need a .dll that provides the encoding. The Audacity documentation recommended I go to the http://lame1.buanzo.com.ar/ for the download. This was a big mistake. If you look at the page it’s unclear which link to click. In fact there are links the page itself recommends not to click. I don’t recall what I chose but the download came with PC Backup Software and other annoying crap written on my hard drive. I’m slowly uninstalling it.
Despite my troubles Audacity can export an MP3 file. Success.